Wednesday 29 February 2012

Altered Ruler

On AFTCM I am participating in a swap where we alter a ruler 6 inches or more in length, with the theme School days.

I was able to find some school themed scrapbook paper at my local stamp store which I knew I could use on a wooden ruler that Linda R.sent to me (Thank you Linda!)

I started by colouring the ruler with Adirondack and walnut stain sprays. Cut out a portion from one of the scrapbook papers which had various words pertaining to lessons and glued it to the back of the ruler. I discovered some graduation stickers in my stash and added them to the back in various spots. Also found some "cutesy" stickers and cut around the white areas and attached one of them to the back.

On the front I glued on a banner from another scrapbook paper and added stickers to each end. Discovered a little sneaker button in my stash and added it to one end. Took one of the Tim Holtz pen nibs and coloured the end with a black permanent marker to make it look like it was dipped in ink, and attached it to the other end.

I thought I needed to add more, so I cut out some pieces from another scrapbook paper and attached them under Tim Holtz fragment charms, one being placed on a piece of dictionary page for arithmetic.

To complete it I stamped a Tim Holtz stamp on glossy cardstock and framed it between two pieces of acrylic with some of the Ranger metallic tape.




To  make these items part of the ruler, I drilled a hole in one end and glued in two eyelets, I attached jump rings to the three pieces, put a clasp through the hole in the ruler with another jump ring and placed the the pieces on it. 

No comments: