Thursday, 13 May 2010

Mini Memory for Vickie

Vickie is the person chosen for May's Mini Memory on DCI. Her theme is Wings and colours are Purple and Lime Green.

I started with a back cover of an old book and removed the paper from it. I painted it with gesso then added dimension with a stencil and molding paste. I painted over it with green and purple acrylic paints and added iridescent violet over the purple section.

I found the little arch thing at the dollar store and since it was silver, I coloured it with Pinata` ink in a purple colour.  I did the same thing with the scabble pieces to spell out FLY.

I took some purple prima flowers and added brads with green dots on them to the centres, twirled some wire to simulate vines and glued them to the board. I had some left over paper which was a piece of a magazine column that I had stamped on with Versamark, gessoed, dried,  then coloured using a Colorbox stylus and purple stamp pad. I put this behind  the little arch piece then glued it to the board.

The little bird is from Magenta and it is painted with purple acrylic, crackle medium and lime acrylic paint. The final touch was a little gem for the eye.

Tuesday, 11 May 2010

I have stencils ......

The latest technique we are doing in CCSwaps is using stencils. I had all kinds of ideas, but decided to use them in the traditional way.

I took a piece of cardstock and placed a large wall stencil over the top and applied Brilliance inks. I then stamped a word stamp with Brilliance Pearlescent Beige. The butterfly is a rub-on.

I took  a 12'x12" piece of cardstock and folded it to make a stationery holder. With another stencil I stenciled some pansies on small pieces of cardstock and again stamped the word stamp with the Brilllinace ink and added some punched circles for the centre of the flowers. I attached these to the bottom folds

I added some cording to close the folder and placed the large stenciled cardstock piece on the front cover. Unfortunately, I was not thinking and the cover piece started to rip from the pressure of the cord. Rather than starting all over again, I tried various thing to reinforce the area, and finally settled on cutting a little light weight key in half and gluing it on with the cording coming through it.

On the inside, I placed some stationery and some envelopes. Some of the envelopes are decorated, but I can't take credit for them as they were some I received many years ago in swap.

D is for

We are continuing on with the Alphabet series and this time it is D. I chose distressing ink, dimension, dictionary words and Dream as my theme.

Lacking for any better ideas I decided on making a notebook. I started with the front cover and took a piece of cardstock and did direct-to-paper with the colorbox stylus and distress inks. I then stamped the image from Third Coast Rubber Stamps with Versafine inks. I masked it and stamped the wings (Tim Holtz) first with Brilliance sky blue then overstamped with Mica Magic gold. I left the mask in place and stamped the Dream background stamp with versafine ink.

I stamped a stars with gold mica magic. I had stamped a word stamp at the top left but did not like the effect so took some sequin waste and gold paint to cover it.

The word dream is done with chipboard letters from the dollar store embossed,  some stamped into while hot and one is covered with silver tape that I embossed in my Cuttlebug and coloured wih alcohol ink.
For the inside cover I took another piece of cardstock and covered it with dictionary words and covered it with an acrylic paint wash and edged the sides with copper acrylic paint. I  then added stamped images (Tim Holtz) and the quote stamp (Quietfire Designs). The little girl image is a piece I had in my stash for years, and it was from a magazine ad for collectors plates.

The back is just covered with some scrapbook paper that looks a bit aged and distressed.