Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Altered Egg

Another altered swap on AFTCM. We are to take an egg in any form and alter it. I debated on whether to participate then took on the challenge. I bought a plastic egg filled with tattoo stickers at Shoppers drug and then set about changing it.

A couple of years ago I created some butterfly boxes using a tutorial from Elaine's blog, so I thought I might use this technique for the inside of my egg.

To start off I took some hand coloured tissue paper from my backgrounds box, and put it on the outside of both pieces of the egg using some modge podge type glue, then added another coat over the top.

While these were drying I stamped, embossed and coloured and cut out my butterflies using Elaine's tutorial. I coloured them with Markers, and twinkling H2O's, then added some mica watercolours to brighten them more in the centre. Added some glue around the edges and added crystal glitter. Cut out some transparency strips to attach to the butterflies, which is the media that makes them look like they are flying.

To make a platform for the butterflies to fit properly inside the egg, I punched several circles and layered them together with double-sided foam carpet tape then glued them to the inside of the egg bottom. I die cut a circle large enough to fit inside the egg and attached it to the other circles. Since I didn't paint or change the inside surface of the egg I decided to add a piece of ribbon that I got from a secret Santa last year.

On another piece of a punched out fancy circle which was already coloured I cut slits in various places and inserted the bottom of the transparency strips with the butterflies attached in the slits at varying lengths and taped them on the bottom to make them stay in place.  I glued this to the circles inside the egg.

I decided to make the fancy circle look a little pond, so I added some blue and pearl mica watercolour paints, then some  rose beads, a little frog and a cupid charm with the attachment ring cut off.

To make the egg more attractive on the outside I added some lace trim (compliments of my Secret Santa) to the edge of the top ensuring that it was high enough to allow the egg to close. Added another fancy trim above the lace. I added pieces of Starform stickers trim to the rest if the egg top.

To complete it I attached a jewellery piece to which I had added a pearl embellishment and hot glued it to the top of the egg.

No comments: