Wednesday, 15 June 2011

ABC Technque for July

I was in the mood for playing around so decided to create my Alphabet D swaps for the ArtVentures group. I found a technique using used dryer sheets that I thought I would try.

I started by stamping an image in Ancient Page Coal Black, and coloured it with my Lyra colored pencils. I applied some double sided Stick n Peel to the cards, then placed the dryer sheet over it after removing the second backing piece. I smoothed it down with my brayer, then cut off the excess.

I sprinkled it with warm toned glitter ritz and smooshed it around the piece. I covered it with a piece of the backing and brayered it again. This technique seems to be best with strong colours on the image. It is a bit hard to see the image and if I were to do it again I think I would use Versfine Onyx black to stamp the image to make the outline stand out better, All in all I am pleased with the technique and it is much better "in person".
The top one was the first one I did, then I changed the colours on the birds head for the other ones I made.

At the Movies

On AFTCM we are doing a 4" X 4" Card front, which we use our own idea in creating. I decided to make one with a pocket to hold some items.

I started with white cardstock and stamped an Impression Obsession background stamp in Versafine Onyx black. I attached this to a folded piece of black cardstock. I then attached the back with double-sided foam tape to create a pocket.

I stamped a Cary Grant stamp image by Digital Princess, cut it out and attached it to the front. I attached a piece of the Tim Holtz film strip ribbon with Vellum Tape.  Embossed some cardstock scraps with glitter ritz and punched out three stars and attached them with glue. I found some neat Movie themed 3-D pieces at my local scrapbook store and used the Movie camera one to finish the piece.

I inserted a couple of stamped images into the pocket.

ABC Techniques

The latest ATC alphabet technique in the ArtVentures group is the letter C.

For this one I did a crumpled chalks background (I call it this because I don't remember the correct name!)

I took some cream cardstock and then applied Clearsnap Fluid Chalk inks with a piece of crumpled up Saran Wrap, moving it around as I dabbed it on. I did three different colours of the fluid chalk inks.  I prepared  a couple of extra pieces and stamped an Inkadinkado flower, cut it out and attached it to the ATC with double-sided foam tape.

I stamped another inkadinkadoo saying and a no name Dollar Store stamp directly on the ATC with Versafine Onyx Black ink. To complete the card I edged it with a marker.

Saturday, 4 June 2011

Ezee Pzee May Design Team Project

The May kit included frames, butterflies and other items. We were to create some kind of a wall hanging using all the pieces.

Since I don't really have a lot of wall space left in my rooms I decided to make two projects.

For the first I created a tryptych type display from the three long frames. I started by painting the frames black, didn't like it so added some gold stamped images-still not happy!! I painted them black again and took my Opalite Cypress Frost and Golden Mist ink pads and rubbed them over the black ink.

I had some background card stock pieces that I had made a while back, ran them through my Cuttlebug and then rubbed some metallic rub-on wax over the raised areas. I inserted these behind each of the frames.

I painted two birds the branch and a butterfly with acrylic paints. Since the butterfly had nice cut out pieces I took some Sookwang tape, placed the butterfly on it and cut around it, then filled the openings with Glitter Ritz.

For the birdcage I painted it brown and then added some different colours of Perfect Pearls to give it a rusted look. I then added an old piece of chain as a hanger for the cage.

I used some little hinges to hold the pieces together.

For the other frames I decided to do a wall hanging. I covered the frames with some scrapbook paper then rubbed some Tea Dye and Black Soot Distress ink around the edges. I took a piece of card stock that I had done a Lumiere Paint credit card scraping technique on and cut it to fit the inside of the frames. On a left-over piece I stamped a saying with Versafine Onyx Black and taped it to the additional chipboard piece that was placed over the top frame.

I had two small canvases that I used for the inside of two of the frames. I first covered them with various scraps of scrapbook paper then added different colours of acrylic paint. When Dry, I stamped a script stamp with White ink.

I covered three hearts with scrapbook paper and then punched out an additional one from the same paper and added it to heavy card stock. Decorated them  and added them to the canvases and the top frame insert.

The Scrolls were done with the rusted technique (as in the first project for the birdcage) and attached to the canvases. To complete the canvases, I colored two flower charms that I got from my friend Chrissy, with two colours of Smooch Ink, then attached a flat bead to each of them, and added them to the canvases.

I attached some ribbon to the back of the three pieces with a hanger.