Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Altered Book

One of the latest swaps on AFTCM was to alter a book with drawers with the theme "Romantic Era".

I had a bunch of empty matchboxes on hand so I used them for the drawers.

The hardest part of this project was cutting and gluing the pages for the little drawers. I made four niches and used four of the little match boxes to which I attached tassels with heart shaped brads.

I also decorated a few pages at the front of the book and left some blank for the recipient to alter. I painted the whole book with black acrylic ink.

For the book cover I took a piece of 130 LB cardstock and did the stamp smoosh technique with reds, blues and pink pigment inks. I then added various colours of Opal embossing powders and then some blue iridescent pearl embossing powder, heated well and stamped over it with my favourite Hero Arts Flourish stamp.
I added a picture of a couple from Lisa Vollrath, which I printed in black and white and coloured with artist grade chalks. I covered the picture with some acetate and then added lace around the outside and some gold rose trim on the inside edge.
The little shoe is a charm that I had in my stash and coloured with permanent markers. I thought it was a perfect addition to the cover. I added it over some netting and a decorated hat pin.

To complete the book I coloured some chipboard letters and spelled out romantic on the spine.

No comments: