Tuesday 5 February 2013

A to Z techniques- V for Vellum-tous

A- to Z on Art-Ventures I used a technique that I learned from Cathie Allan a number of years ago called Vellum-tous.

The technique was originally done on a card but it worked for the ATC.
I cut a piece of White vellum a bit larger than the ATC base and stamped and embossed an open image with white pigment ink and embossing powder. I coloured the image with markers on the front of the vellum,  colouring the portions that I wished to be dominant.

I flipped the vellum over and took a  background stamp and stamped it with with a clear embossing pad and embossed with clear embossing powder. Make sure you hold the vellum up while heating, as the embossing on the other side gets hot and melts.

Using a stipple brush and dye ink colours I stippled around the stamped image on the back of the vellum. If you also want to colour the open areas of the stamp as it could change the colour tones that you used with the markers.
When satisfied with the stippling, I bent the edges over and attached the vellum  to a white ATC base with vellum tape. ( You could also use glossy accents). You can also try it with pastel coloured bases for a different effect. I stamped a V on Vellum scraps using white pigment ink and embossing powder and glued it to the ATC.

I chose different colours of Dye ink for each of the ATC's, to show the different looks. I forgot to scan the other two which were done in yellow and blue.

No comments: