Wednesday 17 September 2008

Chunky books

I am participating in an international chunky book swap titled "In This House". We each chose a theme for our house and will be sending to 14 other people in each group. I signed up twice and the themes I chose were Farm house and World Travellers house.

The first one I did was the Farm House and I used the rusted metal background for the front page. I was thinking along the lines of an old farm house so used the image of the little girl and her mom with the lambs which I got from Lisa Vollrath's site. I had the ivy from a long ago project and decided to add it to the piece.

The dog stamp and welcome sign from another stamp were things that seemed to fit with the theme.

I could not really decide what to do with the back so rummaged through my stamps and papers.
The paper on the back is Banana Paper and the stamped house image is a stamp I bought for Christmas cards a few years ago because it reminds me of a winter day.

I had originally signed up for a glass house but the idea I had in mind was not feasible. Since I had a bunch of acrylic sheets for what I initially had thought about, I decided to use them when creating the "World Travellers" house. I started out by cutting out the small house shape from the acrylic and coloured them with alcohol inks. Once they were dry I stamped images on the reverse with Stazon Jet Black.

The background was coloured with Fluid chalk inks and then I stamped a flourish stamp and the words Souveniers from a new Magenta set of unmounted stamps. The image of the man in the old car is from billblanton.com who generously shares old images on his site.

The back is direct to paper with Colorbox Fluid chalks. The image of the people on the bicycle is a new Magenta stamp by Crafty Individuals and was coloured with DTP using Colorbox pigment inks.

I decided to add the pictures as a vignette representing the travels of the person living in the house. The picture of the cabin in winter is one I got from my brother-in law and the one of the mountains is my own picture. I cannot remember where I got the other two pictures otherwise I would give credit to the photographer. Hope I have not inadvertantly broken the copyright law by using them in my art work.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Fabulous houses, glad I'm getting both of them!!!

Cat Stegall said...

These are wonderful! i enjoy your style! Cathee