Monday 22 August 2011

Apparel Swap continued

The latest apparel swap on AFTCM is a Pretty Parasol. I had several "brilliant" ideas for this one, mainly because I wanted to make something practical and not just decorative, however, I just could not figure out the logistics for what I had in mind.

As a result, I printed off a template of an umbrella and transferred it to some 130LB cardstock twice, and glued them together. To reinforce the handle I had some thin Popsicle sticks and cut them to fit and glued them between the two layers.

I  stamped and embossed a Judikins background stamp on the umbrella in clear embossing ink and powder, then coloured it with some vivid inks, then buffed it with a paper towel to remove the ink from the embossed areas. I added some fringe and "gems" to the bottom edge of the umbrella, and embossed the top portion in with gold embossing powder.

I coloured a scrap piece of cardstock with dye inks and stamped the Hero Arts sentiment in dye ink, and cut around it and glued it to the umbrella. I covered the centre of some roses trim with Stickles; when dry attached it to the umbrella.

I added some glittery foil paper to the front of the long portion of the handle and some plain gold to the back. On the handle I added some  flocking with glossy accents.

I also wanted to decorate the back of the umbrella and unfortunately I had tried to emboss it but at the time I did not realize that my inkpad need to be re-inked, so the embossing powder did not adhere to the ink. Instead I coloured it with chalks and it has a bit of a watermark look. I stamped a Tim Holtz sentiment stamp in Versafine black, then added small butterfly and tulip stamps by Magenta, then a tiny one by Stampscapes in various colours. To finish it I embossed the top in gold, and outlined the edge with a gold marker.

No comments: