Tuesday 26 April 2011

H is for....

On Art-Ventures we are continuing on with our monthly alphabet swap, where the letter can be a technique, theme, medium or colour.

Since I had just finished making a bunch of hat pins and had a hat template from a previous swap, I decided to make a hat.

After cutting out my cardstock in the shape of a hat I was going to do the heated oil pastels technique, but it did not work well, possibly due to the type of oil pastels I was using. Therefore, I changed it and did the heated pearls technique. I covered the cardstock with cheap glue, flicked on several colours of Pearlex till I liked the look and heated it with my heat gun. I heated it until all the bubbles laid flat.
 
For the brim, I punched out a border in lilac cardstock and cut out a piece of holographic paper, and taped them down. I punched out several daisies and placed a brad through the centres and attached them to the holographic paper.
 
I stamped and embossed some butterflies with red pigment ink and pink embossing powder and cut them out, and attached them with double-sided foam tape.
 
I added a little piece of a flourish gem to the centre of the hat. I stamped a ticket stamp then added a portion of a word stamp in the empty area. I attached this with double-sided foam tape, leaving the overhanging portion clear of tape. 
 
To complete the hat, I added one of my hat pins which has a butterfly bead on it. My H is for Hat, Heated Pearls, Happiness, Hole punch and Holographic paper. 

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Love this hat Rena and the hat pin!