Wednesday 9 March 2011

Steampunk Watch

The AFTCM group is running a swap for an altered Steampunk Pocket Watch and as usual I jumped in with both feet and joined.

The watch I bought is quite small so I had a hard time finding things to place inside. I used a small cog, a spiral circle, a star  stamp, square embellishment, a washer, a small spinner and a page pebble that had words underneath. I coloured some cardstock and stamped and embossed some script in copper embossing powder and glued it to the watch back.

I coloured the washer with some Perfect Pearls and the cog with alcohol inks. I glued all the pieces to the cardstock. To finish the piece I added a little bird charm to the outside.

The spinner and the bird kept falling off even though I tried almost every type of glue. I even tried super glue which was a bit of a disaster. The bird still fell off and left residue all over the top of the glass piece. I tried rubbing alcohol and Goo-Gone but no luck. Since the glue bottle suggest soaking your fingers in hot water if they get stuck together, I decided to place the watch in water. Again, another disaster!! It removed the glue but also removed most of the finish. Sot this is "what not to do" when creating!

I do hope my partner will not be disappointed with the watch and will think of the outside as being well loved, used and worn.

No comments: