Friday, 18 March 2011

Altered Sardine Can

Another swap that I joined is to alter a sardine can. I actually had no idea what I was going to do for this swap until I came across a free vintage picture of a lifeguard on Robin's blog while surfing for something else. I decided to resize the image and use it for my project.

I started by painting the outside of the can, then added some K & company paper to the bottom inside. I have a booklet of travel images from Hot off the Press so I cut them out the compass and signs, stamped a little sandcastle and added Judikins Diamond Glaze over them.

While these were drying I put Antique distress powder and embossed it around the inside edge of the can to look like sand. I attached shells at the bottom of the can, coloured a toothpick and attached it to the water sign; added the other images.

I coloured the lifeguard with distress inks and a paintbrush, then added multiple layers of double-sided foam tape to the back to make him raised enough to stand on top of the shells.

I found the beach sign in my stash and coloured it with alcohol inks, placed some tiny screw brads in the holes and attached it to the top with hot glue. Unfortunately this is not the best picture as the scanner has a picked up a glare on the signs that were covered with the diamond glaze.


Tolegranny said...

It is great for not knowing what you were doing. Love it. Thanks for joining the swap.

Kathy said...

I like it! Very unique