Wednesday 4 November 2009

Flutterbyes (AKA Butterflies)

I am participating in another swap in the DCI group where we are creating butterflies for each participant. The only one who specified a colour choice was Lynne who wanted shades of purple.

I had no idea what I was going to do for this swap, but when cleaning up my craft room I came across my Gallery window paints and decided to use them.

I started by stamping and embossing a large butterfly (by Embossing Arts) on a piece of embossable window plastic. I did not want to do all of them in the same colour so chose a few different colour combos. I found that I had to do at least 3 coats of the gallery glass to make them more intense.

On the purple one I used iridescent violet on a portion which did not show up very well, so I got out my Ranger adirondack acrylics in Wild Plum and painted it on. This did not appeal to me, so I then sprinkled some fine light lilac glitter over the top.

On the blue one I had the same problem, the light blue glass paint did not show up well, so I used dimensional paint on it and sprinkled it with blue glitter. The green one was the same, (light blue) not showing up, so on that one I painted over it with some DecoArt metal/glass paint and then added crystal lacquer over the top. The remaining ones are fine as the colours were more intense, so I will leave them as is. These look much better "in person" than on the computer as the detail does not show well in the picture.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Lovely colors, will be fun to see up close.